Controlling and reducing the thermal footprint of a building
COOL ROOF CHALLENGE
With 42.5% of the total final energy consumed and the generation of 23% of greenhouse gas emissions, the building sector is the largest energy consumer in France . The 2012 Thermal Regulations (issued by Grenelle de l’Environnement) envisage a programme for controlling energy consumption: the building sector must find solutions for reducing its environmental impact.
Cool Roof provides building administrators with an innovative solution: the use of white roof paint acting as a reflector to significantly reduce the heat input through the roof buildings. This solution is beneficial, whether the building is air-conditioned or not:
- If the building is air conditioned, by limiting the heat input through the roof managers will reduce their need and therefore their consumption of air conditioning, and thus reduce the energy impact of their building.
- In the second case, on the other hand, usually faced with significant overheating during periods of heat waves, buildings will see their indoor temperature decrease and administrators will be able to avoid air conditioning equipment, while providing greater comfort to their users.
The challenge of Cool Roof? Demonstrate the efficacity of its reflective paint by measuring temperature changes on a building before and after painting.
The Adeunis® solution, marketed by Dataprint, is used by Cool Roof for two distinct periods:
- For the ExAnte building study: TEMP (temperature reading) sensors are placed on the roof and under the roof, inside buildings to assess the impact of the roof in the overheating of buildings.
- For the measurement of the effectiveness of the implementation: 3 weeks before the application of the paint to measure the changes in temperature of the building, before and after implementation of the solution.
Cool Roof teams thus benefit upstream from a precise indication of the heat data coming from a roof, which enables them to make a first diagnosis of heat loss and recommendation of application of their paint. Then, once the painting is done, they can make a before/after comparison and analyse reductions in energy consumption. These data make it possible to demonstrate the effectiveness of the Cool Roof solution, from both an energy and an ecological point of view.
For building administrators, the global Adeunis/Cool Roof solution has an immediate return on investment: they meet regulatory requirements, reduce their energy bills and guarantee good thermal comfort for users. Explain Manon Rosario, R&D ingenior at Cool Roof
Some numbers :
- E.Leclerc Quimper, 7000 m², savings 20 000 € / year in air conditioning
- Ecole Louis Blanc Paris, 35% reduction in hours of discomfort (T> 28 ° C) in classrooms, up to 6 ° C difference between the classroom with Cool Roof and the one without Cool Roof
- Péniche-Hôpital Paris, reduction of 6 ° C in average of the internal temperature felt (up to 15 ° C less during peaks of heat)
About Cool Roof:
Cool Roof France is a young Brest start-up with a “social and solidarity economy” status, created in 2015 by three passionate entrepreneurs. We are developing reflective resins for buildings to reduce roof heating and thus reduce energy consumption, improve thermal comfort and reduce the urban heat island effect. Our proof of concept: the E.Leclerc de Quimper “paints” in 2015 and which displays 20,000 € and 4 t CO2 eq savings per year through a reduction in air conditioning and maintenance expenses.
Since it is 40 000 m² of Cool Roof that have been made by the company, mainly supermarkets but also a terminal of Roissy airport, a school and a barge-hospital in Paris, a cold storage warehouse …
Distributor of IT solutions, networks and telecoms for more than 50 years, DataPrint has been focusing for 5 years on providing products, services and advice for the development and deployment of connected industrial applications. Its consulting capacity and partnerships with the largest providers of cellular communication equipment and services (3GPP and LoRa / Sigfox), allow DataPrint today to offer its customers the best IoT connectivity solutions on the market with the guarantee industrial quality and a high level of service. The company has many prestigious references in IT and telecoms: MultiTech, SagemCom, Objenious, Netgear, Dell, Microsoft …